Howard Springs Accommodation Village
The Howard Springs Accommodation Village is being developed to house the fly-in fly-out workforce required to build the Ichthys gas processing facilities at Blaydin Point, Darwin.
The Northern Territory Government has approved development of the Village, which will accommodate 3500 anticipated workers at the peak of onshore construction (year 4).
The Engineering, Procurement and Construction contractor (EPC Contractor), JKC, will undertake construction of the Ichthys LNG Plant, as well as manage the detailed design, construction and operation of the Accommodation Village.
Construction of the Village is expected to commence from the second quarter of 2012 and take approximately two years to complete.
Benefits to the Community
The Village will provide significant benefits to the local community, including flow-on effects to local business, direct and indirect job creation, and improved local infrastructure including water, sewerage and power to the site.
A workforce of 200-300 will be required to construct the Village, with a further 120-150 staff needed to manage and maintain the Village. Management and maintenance staff will include:
- Landscapers and gardeners
- Cleaners, catering and kitchen staff
- Bus drivers
- Laundry operators
- Administration officers
- Medical specialists
- Security personnel
- Building maintenance trades
A summary of key issues which have emerged to date through data collection and stakeholder engagement are:
- Clearing of native vegetation
- Increased noise
- Traffic congestion and road safety
- Loss of rural character
- Managing anti-social behaviour
- Increased pressure on utility services
- Increased pressure on health services
- Stormwater management
The Village has been designed to minimise potential impact on the surrounding community and takes into account community feedback. After considering community feedback the design now includes:
- Low level lighting
- Bush buffer zone around the facility
- Secure entry off Howard Springs Road only
- Single story buildings
- Personnel to adhere to a code of conduct
- Location of facilities away from Stow Road
- Perimeter security fence around the site
- No permanent structures over the future Madsen Road alignment
- Protection of watercourse at northern end of site
INPEX has been in regular contact with stakeholders through email, community events, shopping centre displays and meetings to keep important feedback channels open.
Accommodation Village Design
The Village has been designed to a high standard and will be made up of temporary accommodation units and purpose built central facilities, including:
- Administration building and dining facilities
- Medical centre
- Indoor and outdoor sports facilities including swimming pool
- Recreation building
- Central bus port and car parking
The Ichthys LNG plant construction contractor will manage completion of the detailed design, and construction and operation of the Village.
For more information, please contact 1800 705 010 or firstname.lastname@example.org